Friday, January 26, 2018

Hamburger Soup

I try to stick to the menus I post each week, and most of time I think I do pretty well.  But every now and again I change it up last minute and this week I decided to forego the chicken curry dish for a crock pot of comfort instead - my late SIL's Hamburger Soup. Every time I fix it, I think of her.  (:
Feeds a crowd and is pretty wonderful!
Like all great family recipes, this one is highly adaptable.  I have "made it my own" over the years by changing up the veggies I put into it, or using a different kind of canned soup.  There may be the last dab of this or that added from the fridge, and a little extra garlic or parsley added...always turns out great!  Here is the basic recipe:

Hamburger Soup
3 lbs. ground chuck, sauteed with 1 large chopped onion
Drain that and add:
2 cans tomato soup
1 can stewed tomatoes
3 beef boullion cubes
2 c. water
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (2 c.)
Season it up!
Cook on low in the crock pot all day
******
This particular time I added the rest of the pico de gallo from last week's Chipotle Beef Tacos night, the rest of a bag of chopped potatoes, along with some chopped garlic and a couple tablespoons Worchestershire. 
I set up the crock pot, thawed some rolls in the fridge, wrote the instructions on "the green plate" (as the boys call it), and ran out of the door to go to work.  And it fed us two nights this week which was great to come home to after a long day!



Shared with:

4 comments:

Simply LKJ said...

This looks delicious! We are eating lots of soups these days. I need to add this one to the rotation.

Kim said...

Well that looks really good. Might have to add this one to the menu soon. Thanks!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Hamburger soup?! This sounds delicious! Cheeseburgers are my favorite food, so the thought of having something like that turned into soup captures my heart. Thanks for the recipe, I'll be trying it.

Miz Helen said...

Your Hamburger Soup looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!
Come Back Soon,
Miz Helen