Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Toteally Cute

I made a tote bag for a girl at work who is expecting her first baby.
It came out huge...I really should have altered the pattern...but I figure she can use it for so many things, and not just for the baby..
I bought this cute green and brown fabric to make a pocket of sorts - it runs across one side of the bag on the inside.  I might get more of it to cover a small memories box for her.
It goes well with the lining and the straps - this is such a happy print.  I was thinking of cutting out some animal shapes to applique on onesies, too....we'll see.  Can you tell she is having a boy?
I'm going to fill the bag with gifts, so it will do double duty.  And since she is going to be a mother now, I will enclose one of my favorite poems in a card :

On Children
 

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
Kahlil Gabran
                                                    





No comments: