Friday, September 24, 2010

Oatmeal Cake

Hooray for the official start of Fall!
It was cloudy and bleak outside, not really cooler...but no matter.  It still made me want to bake a delish something for desert for my peeps!  One of the best things that ever came out of one of the worst jobs I ever had was this recipe for Oatmeal Cake.  A very nice girl brought it into work for a luncheon and I promptly wrangled the recipe out of her.  She frosted hers with Coconut Pecan frosting; this go round I used the leftover cream cheese frosting I had stored in the freezer. 


Oatmeal Cake

1 1/4 c. boiling water
1 stick butter
1 c. oatmeal - I used old fashioned oats
Aren't those egg pretty? They're from my mom's chickies in Brenham!

Put the oatmeal and butter into the boiling water and set off to the side for 20 minutes while you heat the oven to 350, find a 13x9 baking dish, and mix the dry ingredients, which are:

1 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 t. each baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt

After 20 minutes, mix the wet ingredients with two eggs, then blend dry into wet.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
   Cool ,frost, devour.  Save some for the kids and hubby!
I wonder from time to time whatever happened to my Oatmeal Cake lady.  We spent time commiserating at a temp job that was arranged through an agency.  Those were the bad old days.  Hopefully she went on to a better job and is making this cake for her peeps on baking days, too!


 
Shared with:


1 comment:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

OH yum!! I'm a sucker for cakes and this recipe looks delish! Thanks for sharing :)