Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor

One of my favorite restaurants makes these incredible tacos!
Pork and pineapple with cilantro is such a great combo. I love 'em with sour cream and guacamole, a little rice on the side...my mouth is watering as I type... Eating dinner out as a group is something we only do once in a blue moon, so I was thrilled to come across the recipe for these tacos from Southern Living:

Tacos al Pastor


1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
8 oz. pineapple chunks (drained if you're using canned)
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 T chili powder
1 t. each oregano, black pepper, cumin, chopped garlic
3/4 t. salt
canola oil
flour tortillas

Combine pork and next 9 ingredients in a large zip loc bag. (at this point you could freeze it for another day)  Seal and chill 12-24 hours. Cook pork mixture in batches so you don't crowd the pan. Using the canola oil and a large non-stick skillet cook on med-hi heat stirring often about 10 minutes or until pork is done. Serve in warm flour tortillas with sour cream, etc.

******
I made these a few weeks ago when I was getting the household ready for the onslaught of Back to School, and we enjoyed them last night.  I just pull the bag out of the freezer the day before I want to make them, and they cook up in a snap.  We almost never have leftovers and they are a hit with the kids.  
Try them and tell me what you think!


1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Wow, that combo sounds amazing! I'll have to try these :)