Friday, August 2, 2024

Finishing out the summer

I am actually trying to tie up some loose ends on projects I had to "circle back" on.  I think my To Do list got a bit ambitious.
The photinia is toast.  I trimmed it up, treated it for red spot, and still it has decided to die.  Its going to be a pain in the butt to remove so I will wait until the weather cools, then buh bye.  I still haven't gotten the tree company out to trim up the oaks but that will get done!
Whenever I accomplish a small task it gives me a boost - a good one to do is to change out my own wiper blades.  Easy. And I love that I can easily handle these small things that the oil change place will charge you an arm and leg for.  Now I want to clean and polish up Subie's headlamps and I bought a kit for that.
I should go ahead and sell the truck.  I was initially keeping it because I used it to visit Highlands.  But I sold that property over a year ago...I neither need, nor want, a pick-up truck.  I feel nervous about selling this on my own, but I have a plan.  Now if I could only get 'er done!  Small steps: gather up all my truck paperwork, clean it inside and out, take some glamour shots, list it.
I came across the Nook and thought it would probably function well as a way to watch some simple low weight exercises on You Tube.  So I bought another 5 pound weight at Academy ($11) and set up a spot that will make a few minutes of exercise each day a no-brainer.
This air-conditioned, carpeted, and private empty space will do nicely.  Scout offered me the use of his weights in the garage, but again, the weather has to cool a bit for that.
The roof on Camp Rustown is 15 years old, and we have had at least a couple of weather events in the last 15 years.  I've been seeing that gravelly stuff at the down spout base of the gutters, so I know it is degrading.
And there are a couple of spots that look like they are lifted.  So, I will be gathering quotes, picking a roofing company, and getting a new one.  I am not going to wait for the next storm to blow through and damage more than a shingle or two.  And instead of a red roof (which, why did I choose red?  I remember doing that) I am going to go with black or very dark charcoal. Also!  I have paid for address numbers to be placed soon on either side of the driveway
A fun thing to do with a tee shirt that fits too snugly across your hips - this is why I need to stop buying men's tees!
Cut up a few inches along the sides.  No need to stitch it.
Make yourself a side vent tee that you will actually find comfortable!  I have a couple more I could do this to, but I am waiting to see if I will enjoy wearing them when I am a few more pounds down.  I lost 7 pounds since the first of June, which is part of my biggest summer project: myself.
Happy August!


Gina

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Congrats on the weight loss; that's great! Our roof is approaching 20 years and I know it's going to need to replacing real soon along with our vinyl siding. We're not quite at the point where we're looking at quotes yet but we have been talking about it a lot tis summer. One problem with building a brand new house that no one really tells you is that everything pretty much starts breaking and needs replacing all at the same time too!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Well! There is a lot going on in today’s blog post. First of all, I think you should go ahead and sell the truck. I also think you will be surprised at how easy it is to do, and you will be pleased with yourself for having done it. In January of this year, as I’m sure I’ve mentioned, I bought a car on my own for the first time. It’s also the first new car that I’ve ever owned, so I was quite pleased with myself for doing that. Second, I’m sorry about your photinia. I’m also sorry about the massive amount of cucumber vines that I have with nothing but male blossoms. The same holds true for my melon vines. It’s very disheartening, having spent months caring for things, watering them, fertilizing them, and ending up with nothing. I’m ready to pull everything up. August tends to affect me that way. Lastly, I think you look just fine in that T-shirt, but it was a brilliant idea to split it up the sides. I have a lot of my son's graphic T-shirts that he left behind, and I find that I wear those around the house more than anything else. I’m going to keep that in mind. Have a good weekend!

Kim said...

Love the t-shirt vent, I have to keep that one in mind...and congrats on the 7 pounds!! You go!!