Friday, May 10, 2024

5 thing Friday - hydrating, quilts, free plant, walking, suppers

I'm not a big soda drinker (though lately I have been enjoying some dirty cokes*) so I thought I would give sparkling water another try.  It seems more refreshing to me than plain water and I can easily keep it handy in the fridge.
Some of them have interesting flavors.  Next flavor to try is Rose, along with raspberry/nectarine and ginger citrus.  Bubbie says the blackberry lemonade is also good.  I'm also trying Hop Wtr, which is interesting, but pricier, so I will finish what I bought and continue with the Waterloo.
I know Christmas is months away, but I wanted to get the quilts smelling fresh (oh dear, were they musty!) and in gift bags with some scented sachets, all ready for gift-giving to my peeps.  I did a rinse cycle with a splash of gentle cleaner and dried each one with a dryer sheet.  It certainly helped, although they still have the scent of Mom's house.
Mother "signed" all of them and put the date, sometimes embroidering the name of the design, too.
This yellow one is one of my favorites.
The earlier back you go, the neater the stitching and the signature.
I remember her showing me each one, as it was in progress.
She would finish one, then start on another.
Sometimes she would put a finished one immediately on her bed just so she could admire it.  I don't blame her - I would have, too.
They are works of art.
My sister and I used to point out various fabrics as we admired them - "Look! That's a dress I had!  Laura Ashley fabric!  The maternity dress you made me!  Curtains in my childhood bedroom!"  I know my kids won't have those memories, but I hope they feel her presence in these quilts.
I did research on how to care for quilts, typed it up, printed on bright cardstock.  Then I placed each one into an oversized plastic coated gift tote so they could take them to their homes safely.  I tucked the instructions and a sachet into each one, and placed them in the top of my closet, waiting for December.  It was an afternoon's labor of love and a few tears might have been shed.
One day last week, I drove by a neighbor's house and saw a small outside shelf with "free plants" posted.  So yes - I stopped and brought home some small type of yucca that I potted with soil and pot I already had.  Then I added her to my collection on the patio.  Sweet!
I bought some new tennies for walking and have left them sitting by the front door to encourage me to give this an effort.  Its been so humid that it feels miserable so I am aiming for short walks at first, just to get into the habit.  My weight is creeping up and so is my blood pressure.  And I just want to feel physically better.
I'm going to lean into making simple meals that are frugal and veggie-ful, like I was doing when it was just me by my lonesome.  The boys do not expect gourmet feasts and they are capable of fending for themselves if they do.  Its also getting warmer here, so I will use the oven sparingly and ask them to do the same.  Can you believe we are a third of the way through May?


Gina

*diet coke, a splash of lime juice, and coconut creamer - served over ice

6 comments:

Joanne said...

Those quilts are beautiful! I love that she signed each one. I have two quilts from my great grandmother and I cherish them so much. They are on display in my living room but always taught my boys not to use them since they are quite old and getting rather fragile.

Joni said...

Thank you for answering my dirty coke question. Sounds refreshing.
I have had good luck with soaking musty quilts with baking soda (1/2 cup) with the mild soap and a color catcher. I have also dried them on the grass in the backyard (lay a king cotton sheet, quilt then another flat king sheet over the top. The chlorophyll in the grass is magical for musty odors. The sachets are an excellent idea. Gee, you are waaaaaay ahead of the holiday game! Like, 220+ days!!!
Wonderful quilts, what a beautiful legacy.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

The words “free” and “plant” will always stop me in my tracks. Good for you for taking advantage.

Those quilts are real treasures. I love that your mom signed them.

Lynda said...

Those quilts are indeed a work of art! Absolutely beautiful. Your mom was so talented.

My Tireless Retirement said...

The quilts are gorgeous. Your mom was very talented.

LaNell from Texas said...

❤️ the star quilt! Wonderful keepsakes.