Friday, October 14, 2022

5 thing Friday - the backyard, firepit, free subs!, garage sale prep, hawk

The City of Austin sent out some super helpful tree trimmers who decided to remove at least a quarter of my backyard tree to get it off the power lines:
Believe me when I say I had to self talk myself out of panic over this.  Now I need to get the original tree company to come out and finish trimming up the tree by getting the branches off my roof and correcting the butcher job cuts from the other tree company.  Tree company #2 hasn't replied back to my email with photos and I'm about to be done with them and find another company.
And meanwhile I need to work on the grass.
To that effect, I went to Home Depot last Saturday to inquire about their remaining sod (how much is it) and the guy said "just take all of it, Merry Christmas from Home Depot".  Quick as a wink I had it loaded into my car, then onto my backyard as soon as I had mowed and raked.  I have never placed sod.  I have no idea what I am doing.  I am watering it every day and am going to buy a couple bags of topsoil to blend it in with the existing lawn.  If you look carefully, you can see some of it in the photo above just along my backyard deck!
I overloaded the Coleman firepit and I feel like an idiot because it caused the handle on the top to catch fire.  But who the heck makes handles for a firepit that are WOODEN?
I replaced ALL of the handles with these stainless ones, courtesy of Amazon and a suggestion from Bubbie.  I may also scrub the rust down to get my little firepit officially ready for fall campfires.
A former co-worker sent me at least 200 Jersey Mike's free sub cards so I had a great time handing them out at work.  Then I enjoyed one for lunch last Saturday.  They remind me of Firehouse Subs - really good.  But her art was the best part.  And yes, she's an adult...young at heart.
I have decided to do a garage sale in Spring, so I am collecting boxes.  Here's the plan:
*do another thorough clean and organize of the garage (3rd one in a year)
*organize the garage sale stuff
*have the garage sale in the spring - say May
*paint the garage
*enjoy the garage
I think my plan will be successful but involve a lot of hard work.  Good thing I have a friend coming over to give me some advice/help/assistance and I have several months to go.
Hawk at the hospital - I wondered why everyone was crowding around the window.  I missed the murder scene - darn.
It had just killed a pigeon and I guess was resting after lunch?
I don't know what the thought process of a hawk is, and he left a large portion of dead pigeon on someone's window ledge, but he's a beautiful bird.
And on that note, Happy Weekend!


Gina 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW on the Jersey Mike's. We eat there a lot because my picky son likes it, and we can all find something to eat. Their app is really good for earning free food.

For the sod, just water the heck out of it until it starts to grow. It might brown up a bit, but it will be okay and go back to green. The only problem might be that we are entering grass hibernation season (fyi, I am in Houston).