Friday, October 16, 2020

Five thing Friday - reading, meal prep, shopping, chairs, empty fridge

I bought this book by the author of the Hyperbole and a Half book and blog both because I need something to read AND I thought it would be super funny and entertaining like the first book.
It is funny - in places - but it is also incredibly sad.  The author seems like a genuinely likeable person who had a hell of some rough time while she was on hiatus from her blog.  You know, when bad things are happening to someone, its hard to hear about them allatonce instead of in little bits here and there - its somehow magnified.  I've been reading it a little here and there.  I could sure some book suggestions!
I made these "tuna bowls" for us one night this week and they came out surprisingly good!  I used a leftover tomato/avocado/green onion salad from chicken taco night, a can of cannellini beans, a can of skipjack tuna in oil, and some feta.  I sprinkled a little Italian seasoning over the beans and freshly ground black pepper over the whole thing.  It only took 5 minutes to prep.
Imperfect Foods sends me some very marginal carrots, not just because they are weirdly shaped, but also because they seem very limp.  I cook them anyway and they taste great, but I think I am growing weary of this.  I really don't mind grocery shopping since I have been going on Thursday nights after work.  Its not crowded so I can zoom through the aisles and I usually have an organized list.
I am still working on the chair project.  I am taking my time because I don't want to rush through something I want to end up looking great.  I frequently get in over my head with projects like this, thinking they will be so easy and it turns out that they aren't.  Each chair had to have the seat removed, two layers of cloth and some quilt batting and staples removed, the seats sanded and painted, the rubber feet pried off, the metal scrubbed and sanded, then several coats of paint will dry before I screw the seats back on and replace the rubber feet.  I do it in spurts and it is taking foreverrrr. 
I don't know how I can spend $100 a week on food and supplies, and the fridge look like this.  Its all condiments!  It makes me miss my peeps even more.  Remember storing three gallons of milk, mom?
It looks like Hubby and I aren't fending for ourselves, but we are!  I am cooking dinner every day, packing lunches for us, and there is always something in there for breakfast.  The freezer looks a little better, but it feels like we have a fridge that's too big for two people, overall.  I'm sure I will change my tune over the holidays when I am cramming all of the Thanksgiving stuff in there.
Sometimes it feels sad to be an Empty Nester...


Gina 

1 comment:

Kim said...

I've heard about the Imperfect Food companies. I've never tried them, but maybe we should. They look like they'd be good for a laugh.