Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Finding the Deal of the Century, Mom version

Firstborn doesn't own a lot of furniture - he has an antique table and two chairs ("old stuff" to him), and he has a desk, new office chair, nightstand, and his bed.  That's pretty much it.  So when his sister bought herself a new sofa, she said she would sell him her old one for $75.  Now, granted, it was a couple years old, but she paid $500 for it, and they agreed that $75 was fair.  The only catch was: he would have to go to Houston to get it and I'm not certain it would have fit in Hubby's pick-up bed.  Waaay too much cost and hassle.  I was on a mission to find him one closer to home.
So I stopped by my favorite Salvation Army Family Store on my way to work Monday and I spied the above loveseat.  Clean, in good shape, pretty comfy...those throw pillows can go, though...
 Hang on - how much is this loveseat?  I had to do a double take:
Originally $99.99, now marked $7.49. (I love that they put an exclamation mark after NOW) I flagged down an associate to ask her if this was correct.  YES, it was.  SOLD!  I took the ticket up to the front, rounded up my sale to the nearest dollar, and with tax it was $9 even.  NINE DOLLARS.  I texted the pic to Firstborn thinking he would snub it, and we could put it in the Lounge, but no, he wanted it.  So he and Hubby picked it up last night and took it to his apartment.  
I was fairly pleased with myself!
We are trying to break him of the mindset that cheap ricketty furniture you order from Amazon or Wal-Mart and then have to put together only to have it fall apart (even if it is starter furniture) is a good idea.  
I also spied this oak cabinet which I thought would work as a TV stand, but sadly it was not long enough for the TV screen.  And now I am on another mission:  can I find a TV stand that we can stain to match his bookcase?  And a coffee table, too?  Just a quick 15 minute stop into a thrift store here and there and I will find them!



No comments: