Friday, September 14, 2018

Crockpot Mulligatawney Soup

I'm pretty sure I originally found this recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking.  And since we have had rain pretty much non-stop for over a week, it feels like fall is here - even if its super muggy outside. {side note - why oh why did I not plant grass before we got all of this rain?!}  Anyhow, I made a few adjustments to it, so I will post my version.
Mulligatawney Soup

Remove the yellow fatty stuff (ugh) from 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and place in the bottom of the crock pot.  To that add:
2 small cut up Gala apples (no need to peel)
3 or 4 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 small onion, diced
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with their juice
1/3 c. golden raisins
the juice from 1 small lemon
3 c. broth - I had beef on hand this time
2 T curry powder and 1/4 t nutmeg
1 cup prepared rice

YUM - all of those veggies and a curry seasoned broth.  (It already smells wonderful!)
I set the crock pot to low and 8 hours.  When Hubby got home, he stirred it well to shred up the chicken, added the rice, and made garlic toast. I don't have a picture of the finished product as I was tired and still had laundry to do...It makes a LOT of soup for my little group, so I'm sure we will enjoy it again as leftovers, probably tomorrow since we have more rainy weather coming our way.
Happy Weekend!




No comments: