Friday, September 28, 2018

5 thing Friday - Mother, landscaping, toad, weeds, breakfast

 Last Friday I didn't post...too busy, I guess.
I took the day off and went to see my mother in Brenham.  She had her list all ready: library, post office, feed store, Wal-Mart.  We got all of it done in record time, then put up all of her groceries and heated up some beans and some broccoli cheese rice to go with fried chicken. {Wal-Mart does not have the best of fried chicken, but we were hungry, so oh, well!}  It was a good visit!  She seems to be bouncing back from her accident and was in good spirits.  So far.
SIGH OF RELIEF.
Hubby cut down the shrubs that were looking poorly - they were 24 years old.  In the midst of the rain we have had, I haven't made near enough headway in working on the front landscaping beds, so I feel anxious to get 'er done.  Meanwhile, my crepe myrtle is blooming for the first time all summer!  I'm looking forward to sunny days where I can really get in there and work on this area.
Do you see it?
While we were loading up the burn barrel on Sunday a shape moved in the leaves and spooked me!
 It's a Gulf Coast toad, or a coastal plain toad. Harmless, but it gave me a start.
I also identified these pretty weeds that were covering our little hill - they are Senna Accidentalis, or septic weed.
 What a crappy name for beautiful yellow flowers!  They have really exploded with all of the rain.
Hubby and I try to eat in whenever we can, although we do enjoy going and doing on the weekends.  For Sunday mornings at Highlands, I pack about 4 eggs, some bacon or sausage, leftover fruit from the week, maybe some leftover veggies, and whip up a breakfast feast! (here I even have leftover napkins from Bubbie's Court of Honor
Its the best start to our week ahead!
P.S. One week from today is our 33rd wedding anniversary!



No comments: