Friday, October 7, 2016

Use what you have: frugal apple pie

On Wednesday night, in keeping with my goal of cooking more, I made Beef Stir Fry, as per Bubbie's request.  And also by popular demand, dessert!  It made the house smell especially wonderful and was frugal, to boot.
Dessert is something we have once a week or so.  But I had gotten out of the habit again.  No worries - I have some wrinkly apples and an extra pie crust in the freezer.
Whenever I am tempted to throw away overripe fruit, I think of baked goods.  No one realizes the banana chocolate chip muffins have those brown bananas in there...and no one cares if the skin on the apples for the pie is wrinkled...
I sliced up the peeled apples and added a few orange flavored dried cranberries, about a tablespoon of flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.  I piled it into a greased dish with a crust, and dotted it with butter.
Then I folded the edges of the crust up a bit and stored it in the fridge.  When I left to go pick up my band kid, I put it into the oven, set the timer for an hour at 350, then left the house.  It smelled so good when we got home!
If I were using Granny Smith apples, like I love to do, I might have let the sugar sit on the sliced apples for 20 minutes or so.  It draws out the juices and makes the best pie!
Apple pie with ice cream as a dessert for stir fry night is a good thing, Martha.




No comments: