Monday, March 21, 2016

What the week holds: A family at Easter

I bought some daffodils last week at Trader Joe's, and while they were short-lived, they were lovely when they bloomed!  Thought I better get going thinking about what to serve for dinner on Easter.  I think I will prepare a Garlic Herb Pork Tenderloin, Glazed Carrots, Loaded Mashed Potatoes, Heavenly Hash, Deviled Eggs, and bake a coconut layer cake for dessert.  I might make them all a sussie - but I don't promise.  Still thinking of something meaningful - not candy.
 
The food I can prep in advance.  Hubby can just load it into the oven and follow a timeline, which I will dutifully write down.  On Friday, the boys can sleep in and I will get the house cleaned.  then The Girl comes into town and we will be Ladies Who Lunch!
Here and there I decorated the house a bit  - put a Spring wreath on the front door, set out my bunnies, ironed a tablecloth... I will be at work that day, but that's not always a bad thing. I like what I do for a living, and I like the people I work with.  Maybe I will make them a sussie, too!
I think that the prep and anticipation for a holiday is the exciting part!  Would it be lovely for all of them to go to church together?  Yes, but there's no expectation from me that they will.  And if they don't, it doesn't change a thing about Easter.  I'm sure that they will carry with them the warm feeling that lasts after being back together for a day.
Grown folk can wear pretty thin on each others' nerves, even as they love each other.  Especially if they are all together under one roof and aren't quite used to that anymore.  It takes so much energy to strike out on your own - going home seems like going backwards in time.  I remember the feeling well.  The last thing I want is for everyone to feel stressed when they are visiting "home" on a holiday.  As they get older, I want them to want to come home because it is meaningful for them to be here, not because Mom and Dad are guilting them into it.
 
Families are a hard thing to figure out sometimes, no?  Life is hard with them, life is hard without.  But Spring is here and there are lots of things to look forward to.  And I think even Firstborn enjoys a little bit of Spring on the table...




No comments: