Friday, March 2, 2012

I haven't done this in a while...

 It's not like I've never sewed clothing before - heck, I sewed a couple of complicated bridesmaid's dresses with boning AND zippers! I have sewn many dresses and skirts, and even some variety show costumes in high school.   I even made a bikini once and wore it all summer on the beach in Galveston. I 'aint scared...
 I saw this cute tiered skirt and thought it would be just the ticket for Spring.  
I can picture it with a simple top and some sandals. 
 It looks forgiving over the hip area, too...
It reminds me of a lot of Laura Ashley skirts and dresses I used to own.
I look at a sewing project all wrong, I think.  I see the finished project but not the hundreds of steps in between and it makes me feel a little overwhelmed when I begin.  I actually called my mother and told her about it.  She said it sounded like it would be lovely - a gathered chambray skirt - something I would enjoy wearing.  I just have to be patient and take it one step at a time and not rush through.
I used to be better at that than I am now.  I cut the pattern out today and might sew on it a little at a time.  Many pieces of fabric, lots of gathers and seams, lots of patience needed!  A lot like life, right?
***UPDATE**
I never finished the skirt.  After awhile I realized that while I love to wear skirts as this, I hate sewing them...I need a simpler pattern!




3 comments:

Marie said...

My first thought was that it reminded of Laura Ashley too! Just lovely. I think it will be perfect and you will look lovely in it...go girl : )

The Better Baker said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today - please come again soon. You have a beautiful family!

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Hey! Good for you! I need to get my sewing machine out and finish a few projects! Looks like a beautiful pattern Gina! Angie xo