Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Weekend re-cap: home chores, 4th tap, Deckhands, patio

This past weekend I was on call, so we planned to stay at home and get a few things done.  One of them being "clean the gutters".  I realize that's a spring project...but procrastination is also a spring project.  I figured I was going to "help out", but it turned into a full-fledged project requiring my active participation in 90 something degree heat and humidity.  UGH.
To effectively clean the gutters we had to trim the oaks out back - some of the low hanging branches were scraping the roof.  So ladders were involved.  {Side note: we are getting too old for this} Hubby and I worked for HOURS in the heat - I don't know why we can't seem to stop doing that.  Absolutely brutal.  We made a gigantic mess of the backyard and many more bad words were said at top volume.  I'm sure the new neighbors were impressed.
Bubbie helped us bundle up what we trimmed and we managed to get it by the curb, all ready for brush collection today.  We filled several lawn bags that will go out, too.  And we also took out a shrub that was dying:
That giant empty spot is where it lived.  There are big empty spaces there, in general, that I need to do something about.  I will wait til the Fall, though.  {I need some suggestions for how to proceed if you happen to have a green thumb!} Anyhoo, around 4:30 or so, we called it a day, showered, and headed to 4th Tap around 6 p.m.
You wouldn't know by Hubby's smiling face the level of exhaustion.  We both felt like beer would make us feel better.  We were right.  They had a big air-conditioned space with cold beer and games to play - a nice place to wind down. We stayed there a while playing cards until we decided dinner out would be just the thing.
 So we headed to a favorite seafood place to enjoy fried clams,
Shrimp Pad Thai, and catfish stuffed with pico de gallo, bacon, and monterrey jack cheese.   It was all so good!  It was all we could do to eat, drive home, and collapse.  The next day we did a whole lot of nothing - I made a donut run, stitched, read, made cookie dough, did minor housework putseying, ordered pizza for lunch.  Hubby got dressed and declared he was not doing any chores whatsoever.  We did nothing to take a pic of or write about - just spent a nice day at home.
In the evening we sat on our newly cleaned patio, iced down some wine, and played more cards.  It was 96 out there, but the breezes through the patio are so nice and we barely noticed the heat.  I put a new chicken dish into the oven, sauteed some squash with red bell pepper and onion, baked some potatoes.  Hubby and I ate dinner on the patio as the sun went down, and slept like babies that night. 
I never got called in, so that was nice.  We have several 100 plus degree days ahead of us, so we aren't working that hard this coming weekend.  If at all.




No comments: