Monday, November 11, 2013

Mealplan Monday #84 and some crafty coasters

Christmas will be here before you know it - and this year I am determined to spend less, have more.  (More on that later!)  Enter the new space in our house which for the next couple of months will serve as not only a place to relax and read a book, but a space for Mrs. Claus (me, duh) to do her thing.
Wah-la!  Homemade coasters and bookmark! 
I've made coasters before - nothing new here.  But I've never made them as gifts, so that's where the fun comes in - going thru my fabric box, picking out prints that go together.  A brief tutorial will follow this week's cooking plan.
******
Monday - Buttermilk Herb Chicken, baked potatoes, lima beans
Tuesday - Chicken Fajita Soup, tortilla chips, cheese, etc.
Wednesday - Cider-Glazed Stuffed Chicken, green beans
Thursday - Sausage and Potato Skillet, carrots
Friday - Bacon Quiche, salad
Saturday -Mom on her own, Boys camping
Sunday - Hamburger Helper, corn (believe it or not, they eat ALL of this) 
Dessert this week?  Not sure.  Maybe a Pumpkin Dump Cake!
******
I cut fabric in approximately 5" square pieces and reinforced one side with iron-on facing.  Then I sewed two squares, right sides together, on 3 sides, plus a little towards the center of the fourth side..  I used two different prints for my coasters.
Before I turned each coaster inside out, I trimmed the edges a bit so the corners would be neat when I turned them inside out.
See the edges where I left the stitching open?  This helped me turn it inside out.
You can tuck in stray threads and finger press them so the edges meet.  When you top stitch all around, no one will be able to tell where you left off.  Oh.  And rotary blades are sharp, FYI...
This particular set is for a person who claims to love homemade gifts, so we shall see what she thinks of my coaster idea.  I made a matching bookmark, will include a package of nice ground coffee, and this book.  Only a few more days off to make more of these between Thanksgiving and Christmas!





No comments: