Friday, April 13, 2012

Cowboy Bread

Here's what we enjoyed on Easter Sunday morning, 
warm from the oven, with a  side of scrambled eggs, and a cup of coffee:
Cowboy Bread, which is more like a snack cake.  This recipe comes from the Pasadena ISD school cafeterias, by way of the Houston Chronicle.  Those lucky kids - I thought school cafeterias cooking their own food was a thing of the past...

Cowboy Bread
3 c. flour
2 sticks melted unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 c. chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
1 t. cinnamon
1 c. buttermilk*
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 and grease a deep 13x9 glass dish.  In a large bowl combine the first seven ingredients, reserving 1 c. of the mixture.  Mix the remaining dry mixture with the buttermilk and the egg.  Pour the batter into the dish and top with the reserved dry mixture.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes - check to be sure middle of cake springs back when touched.  Serve warm.
 *Make your own by combining 1 c. evaporated milk with 1 T vinegar.  Let sit awhile to curdle.
It was a moist, delicious cake that made the whole house smell good!  I froze half of it for my cowboys to enjoy on a busy school morning soon...



Shared with:

7 comments:

The Better Baker said...

Looks like a fabulous recipe! LOVE the photos of your family in your sidebar. I'm the oldest and only girl with 3 younger brothers...how lovely. So glad I saw this...pinning now!

Kristin said...

I grew up in PISD schools and cowboy bread was the highlight of lunch! You just made my day!!

Joy said...

I teach and Pasadena ISD and I absolutely LOVE THIS BREAD!!! Thank you for posting this!!!

Unknown said...

I attended PISD schools from elementary through middle school...cowboy bread was my favorite! Thanks for this recipe ��

Unknown said...

I loved Cowboy bread too.

Anonymous said...

2023 and I still dream and smell it!!

Anonymous said...

Si, yo lo hacía y me quedaba delicioso, yo hacía todo el pan en una high school