Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Weekend re-cap: the overnight edition

We are missing people at work - as in, we are missing BOTH of the regular staff members that work weekday overnights.  We got a couple of emails that asked for volunteers in advance of outright assigning us a particular week, so I just bit the bullet and volunteered for one - last week.
Sunset meant it was time to get up for the day and have a cup of coffee before cooking dinner...I'm not gonna lie, it was a challenge.  But I was in it to win it.  Ahead of time I planned out when I would eat, when I would nap, when I would have coffee, what to pack to eat...all of that.  
Teddy was not a fan of me sleeping the day away.
But I call it a success because I made it through!  By the time Saturday morning came along, I was ready for it to be over.
I left work at 6 on Saturday morning, was asleep by 6:35, and woke up without an alarm by noon.  After a quick shower, we headed to Highlands.  {this is a pic of frosty trees along the road to Burnet. My lack of quality pics will likely not surprise anyone}  We picked up steaks and portabellas to grill at Highlands, spent an hour or so at Save The World enjoying a cherry ale release and grilled pizzas.
When Spring arrives, this giant tire will become a container for lantana! 
We grilled our steaks and did some odds and ends around Highlands.  Then we both called it an early night at 8 p.m.
The next day we ate a leisurely breakfast and checked on the burn barrel from the evening before.  {We are slowly making our way through the pile of bark leftover from moving the firewood stacks.}  Then we headed over to Perissos for the wine club pick-up party.
Even though it was cold and misty, we were comfy and cozy - the place is huge and was packed.  But the lunch of Chicken Parmesan Pasta was great and we enjoyed a bottle of Sangiovese in the tasting room listening to live music.
It seemed like the rest of the afternoon went by in a blur.  We were home in Austin by 3:30 p.m., made a fire in the firepit, and enjoyed snacks.  Dinner was meatballs and fettucine, Scout and Dutch bailed on us, and after I got the kitchen cleaned up and the laundry going, again, we were in bed super early.  And now its Hump Day already!
Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I will bake a sweet treat for my peeps, and another weekend is just a couple days away...




No comments: