Friday, April 5, 2013

Bacon Jalapeno Popper Quiche

I'm a big fan of quiche, so when I saw this recipe by Stacey of Real House Moms, I knew it was a good reason for me to learn how to make my own pie crust and just DO IT.  (Like the Nike commercial)  I've been needing to learn this for a loooong time.  Plus, jalapeno poppers are a favorite grill item here - I knew you couldn't go wrong with cream cheese and bacon!
It wasn't magazine-beautiful, but tasted amazing and everyone gave it a thumbs up!  To start, go here for the quiche recipe.
And here's the best part:  I learned how to make pie crust!  It's by Martha Stewart.

Test Kitchen Pie Crust:

2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces, divided
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 t. each salt and sugar
1/2 c. ice water

Lay out 3/4 of the butter cubes on wax paper and freeze.  Combine flour, salt, sugar, and the rest of the butter in food processor and pulse to combine.  Add frozen butter and pulse some more until it looks like coarse meal.  Add ice water and immediately pulse until water is just incorporated.  The dough should hold together.  Divide dough in half, place each half between two sheets of plastic wrap, press into disks.  Roll out the disks to 8 inch rounds - the plastic makes it so easy.  Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes to use, and up to 2 days, or freeze the dough for a month.

I served it with home fries and a salad.
 And the leftovers were so good the next day, cold from the fridge.
No more store-bought pie crust for us!





Shared with:


No comments: