Monday, April 15, 2013

Mealplan Monday #56, faux plants, and a soup recipe

I don't mind faux plants one bit.  Cat proof, require no watering, can be enjoyed for years, can be re-potted and arranged, no problem.  I know some people think of them as too fakey.
With a little dusting, they stay pretty. 
But have you noticed how dang expensive they are now?  I went to Michael's to see about getting a plant for the copper pot below - $30.  On sale. For faux plants?  
Joann and Hob Lob weren't any cheaper.  Geez.
I fished around in my decor stash and pull out enough foliage bunches to make my own. Then put a little moss in to disguise that I used pine cones to fill around the base of the plants.  Cost me nothing.

Monday - Dopiaza Curry chicken, brown rice, zucchini
Tuesday - Turkey Pesto Meatballs with penne, salad
Wednesday - Clean out the freezer night - smorgasbord!
Thursday -Mom p/u BBQ
Friday - Salmon with Avocado Salsa, black beans 
Saturday - Dad grills
Sunday - Chicken Taco Soup*
Dessert this week is Pear Cake


*Chicken Taco Soup Rustown
1 onion, diced
1 can of pinto beans, drained
1 c. leftover black beans from Friday
1 can corn, drained
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup water and 1 cube chicken boullion
2 cans Rotel
1 taco seasoning packet (I might just make my own)
Leftover cooked and cut up chicken (from previous grill nights)
 
My plan is to put all of this in a large zip-loc and freeze.  Around 3 p.m. on Sunday, Hubby can pop it into the crock pot frozen and cook it on low 5 hours.

This week is all about lowering my grocery bill, believe it or not - we have a lot of the ingredients for this menu already on hand.  And gradually, I've managed to limit the rice, potatoes, bread, bacon, and cheese from the menus.

 Recycled flowers from the Fall front door arrangement coordinate with the burgundy on our bedroom,
 some recycled ivy and a bird from Pottery barn are cheery in the kitchen,
 and a little fern from IKEA, wrapped in burlap is sweet in the den bookcase. I like the "natural look" of greenery in the house - and I love that they are low maintenance, too.



Gina

No comments: