Friday, July 23, 2010

Sour Cream Banana Cake

I had no business making this cake yesterday - it was blazing hot outside AND I had been to the doctor for my annual appointment and discovered I'd gained 5 pounds.  But I called my mother to chat and she was making a banana cake and I saw two overripe bananas lying on the counter...and the rest is history...
Sour Cream Banana Cake 
(adapted from Cooks.com)

1 1/4 c. sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs
4 T. sour cream
1 t. baking soda
3/4 c. chopped pecans (optional)
2 ripe bananas, cut into chunks
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. vanilla

Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and beat lightly.  Mix the baking soda into the sour cream and add to the sugar and butter mixture.  Turn your mixer speed up a bit and add the banana chunks to mash them up well.  Then add the vanilla. And lastly, the flour and salt. Mix well.  At this point the batter should have no lumps.  Pour into a greased 13x9 glass pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 about 45 minutes. (I used a 13x9 glass dish because I didn't want layers - I wanted it to be easy to store.)  When the cake is cooled frost with:

1 stick butter, room temp
1 box powdered sugar
1 block cream cheese
1 t. vanilla

Blend the frosting ingredients together until smooth, spread over cake.  Store leftovers in the fridge.




No comments: