Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Weekend re-cap: Teddy, Mother, STW, Westcave, pizzas, and an emptier nest.

The days leading up to The Girl's arrival seemed to crawl by...Teddy was enjoying life but I knew he would be so much happier when she came to get him!  Its been a long two months and even though he is a good house guest, I was ready to be done with temporary dog ownership.
I even gave him a bath so he would smell pretty for his mama! 
Talking to my mother on the phone last week, I felt alarmed to hear something in her voice - a trembling or frailty. It made me panic a little.  When was the last time I saw her?  I decided to take Friday off and run up there and check on her.
As it happens, it was also her birthday.  She had a list of things for us (me) to do.  I fed her lunch and took her to the bank and grocery store.  We cleaned out the hen house and moved some berry vines.  Her gait is very jerky and halting. She doesn't pay attention to other people around her and I can imagine the same happens when she drives.  Her home seems to be even dirtier and you cannot reason with her about things once she has an idea set in her mind - like hiring cleaning help.  This is not to her benefit.
 It makes me worry.
On Saturday we were not about to sit at home in the dreary weather and wait for The Girl to get home...we had a pick-up to attend!  First we had to go check on Highlands and make sure the window to the pumphouse was closed as Burnet was expecting a hard freeze. (it wasn't closed - my bad) We ate a small turkey sammie/no chips from Schlotzsky's in lieu of something fried, so I call that a win.   Then we swung by STW for the Priceps Pacis release.  And finally, we jetted off to Westcave Cellars!
Kentucky Divide was playing, a firepit was going, and we enjoyed some small bites along with a great tannat.  I could have sat out there under the oaks for HOURS.
We ended up at home around 6 and made Uuni pizzas for everyone, then enjoyed the firepit and some downtime with The Girl. Bubbie's girlfriend was also there, but Scout and Dutch couldn't make it.  Firstborn was almost completely moved out, so he spent his first night in his new apartment.  I couldn't get anyone to stay up past ten at the firepit with me, so I was grudgingly the last to go to bed.
 
The next day, we helped Firstborn get some more things moved, then ate at a favorite seafood place for lunch (Hubby ate very healthy.  Me, not so much)  When we got home I spent an hour or so dusting in here and cleaning the carpets and what you see above is how I left it.  I'm not sure how will we use this space...stay tuned.  We ate some crockpot turkey veggie soup, played some cards, and called it a day.  Hopefully this weekend coming up will not be as busy...





1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I’m glad that you got to spend good time with your mother, and be with your family. We really have to take advantage of that. When I talked to my dad on Sunday night, February 10, I never dreamed that that would be the last time I would ever talk to him. I am still reeling from that. Every day is precious, and we need to treat them as such.