Saturday, May 6, 2017

Coconut pies

I love coconut in pies and on donuts - the soft or macaroon type coconut.  Chewy and nutty.  Sooooo good!  So I decided to make a couple of pies last week - one to eat, one to freeze for later.  This recipe makes two pies and I have plenty of crusts!
 
 I don't remember where I got the recipe from.  I have had it for years.  It turns out pretty sweet, so you could always adjust the sugar, or just buy unsweetened coconut.
Coconut Pies
3 eggs, well beaten
3 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1 can evaporated mik
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
8 oz. shredded coconut
I thawed out my crusts while I gathered up my ingredients.  Then I rolled them out and folded them, rolled them again and folded them - I did that a few times.  It made for flaky crust!
 My pie crusts are imperfectly perfect!
Mix all of the ingredients and divide between two crusts.  Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 1 hour.
Pies cooling on the stovetop make the house smell so good!
And a slice of pie mid-morning with coffee in a peaceful kitchen is the best thing!
Happy Saturday!




1 comment:

Rue said...

YUM! I love coconut too :)

xo