Monday, April 21, 2014

Mealplan Monday #107 and being frugal with food

Last week, before I bought groceries, I gave the fridge a clean sweep.  I usually do this right before I put new groceries up, but there were containers of things in there I had to deal with beforehand. And I'm glad I did, cause it made me more conscious of what all I had before I even set foot in the store.
A couple of onion halves, some baby carrots that no one was eating, two last stalks of celery, and two wrinkled bell peppers all got chopped and tossed together in baggies for the freezer.  These will be handy to saute for casseroles or add into soups.
 All of the leftover bread that was getting stale or dry got made into breadcrumbs.  I spread them out on a cookie sheet, set the oven to 350 for about 6-7 minutes, then left them in there for an hour or so.  and had crushable crunchy toast for crumbs.
 The three sad tomatoes I had were way too mushy for salads.  They got diced and frozen in a jelly jar.  Next time I need a can of diced tomatoes, I'll just thaw this out.  It all made me feel productive and thrifty for sure.
******
Monday - (freezer) Spinach and Salsa Chicken, rice
Tuesday - Stouffer Lasagna, salad
Wednesday - Pepper Jack and Guacamole grilled cheesers, tots
Thursday - Chicken Bacon Alfredo Pasta, broccoli
Friday - Four Ingredient Enchiladas, salad
Saturday - Dad grill
Sunday - Chicken Pot Pie
******
Breakfast was frugal, too.  Pan-fried leftover sliced baked potato with two eggs and a bit of cheese.
I can't grocery shop on an empty stomach, you know...




No comments: