Friday, July 18, 2014

Freezer Meals #10

Whew!  Another batch of meals for my newly cleaned out freezer.  I threatened everyone we'd live on salads, but it turns out, the crock pot is easier...and the weather has been so rainy and cloudy, you may as well get stuff done inside the house.  That's my theory anyway.
This time it took me quite a bit longer to assemble and clean up - but that's doing all of it from Step 1.  So I guess if you divide out 2 hours by 9 meals it comes out to a little over 13 minutes per meal - and time to relax when I get home instead of rushing to make dinner.  So, winning.
Shredded Pork for Tacos:  3-4 pound pork roast, 2 chopped onions, 2 T bacon fat, 4 serrano chilies, 3 smashed garlic cloves, S&P, 2 c. water. Freeze in gallon zip-loc.  Cook on low in crock pot 6-8 hours, skim fat, shred, serve in flour tortillas.

Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff:  2# lean cubed stew meat, 1 can Golden Mushroom soup, 1 small sliced onion, 1 T Worchestershire, 1/4 c. water.  Freeze in gallon zip loc.  Cook 6-8 hours on low, and stir in 4 oz. cream cheese just before serving. (I forgot to buy Golden Mushroom, so I used regular onion soup and some leftover gravy from another dinner.  Creative, no?)

Honey Garlic Chicken:  My peeps love this over rice

Taco Chili Crock - 1# cooked and drained ground beef, 1 medium chopped onion, 1 drained can of corn, 1 drained and rinsed can of black beans, 8 oz. tomato sauce, 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1 small can diced green chilies, 1 package taco seasoning.  Freeze in a gallon zip loc.  Cook in crock on low for 6-8 hours.  NOTE:  I cook black beans from dry 'cause it's cheaper and I make my own taco seasoning 'cause ditto.

Apple Garlic Pork Roast:  Into the gallon zip loc goes four chopped Gala apples, 1/4 c. water, 2-3 smashed cloves of garlic, 2 t. chopped fresh parsley, S&P.  I will cook this from frozen 6-8 hours.  (I have never tried it, but it sounded good!  I may add a bit of sage to it)

Mediterranean Pork Chops - I love these.  I will serve them with mashed potatoes and a salad.  YUM.
Baked Stuffed Shells
24 jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente and cooled
1 lb. Italian sausage, cooked and drained
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 bag frozen chopped spinach
1/2 c. parmesan
1/2 # cubed provolone
1 26 oz jar sketti sauce (I love Newman's Own)

I combined the cooked sausage, tomato paste, a little water, some salt and pepper, the half bag of spinach and simmered it a little.  Then I removed it from the heat and stirred in the parmesan.  I poured a little sauce into two casserole dishes, filled the shells with the meat mixture, then set them on top of the sauce. I poured the rest of the sauce over, topped with cubed provolone, and covered with foil.  I will thaw, bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover for another 10-15. (This recipe would have been a tad different had I not forgotten to buy ricotta...oh, well)
******
The ninth meal was dinner that night.
Time to relax and read a book - here comes the weekend!



No comments: