Friday, May 16, 2014

Freezer Meals #8

I took advantage of some pretty Spring weather to clean up the freezer with the kitchen door open.  Ahh, fresh breezes!  It's been so great these past few mornings.  The Girl is back from Waco for the summer, and my hours are about to change yet again at work.  So staying on top of all things domestic is my goal.  Here is the most recent batch of dinners:
For the Garlicky Carnitas Roast I used this cooking sauce poured over a pork roast in a large zip loc bag.:
I have tried other flavors of this brand of sauce and they are pretty good.  I added a little chopped onion to the bag and after I cook it all day we will have this shredded in warm tortillas with all the fixings.
For the Ham and Cheese Party Sammies I split a loaf Hawaiian bread width-wise, layered in swiss cheese and brown sugar ham from the deli, and brushed the inside of the bread with a butter/brown sugar/dijon/worchestershire mixture.  They got wrapped in foil and will bake at 325 for about 30 minutes.  Find the complete recipe here.
 
Potluck Beans are from A Year of Slow Cooking.  They are similar to a recipe I have that calls for mainly pork and beans with hamburger meat.  We love beans, so I'm sure this will be a winner.  I added a can of tomato sauce to make up for not having all the ketchup it called for.
 I like to line up the bags on the table as I assemble them.  Then I clear a space and load them all up at once into my freezer.
For the Lemon Garlic Chicken I mixed 4 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/4 c. chopped fresh Italian parsely, 6 juiced lemons, 2 t. California style lemon pepper, salt and pepper and poured it over a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs, all in a large ziploc.  This will cook 6-8 hours on low in the crock pot.
For the Swiss Steak I cut 2 pounds of round steak and put in a large ziploc, then added 1 envelope of onion soup mix, i chopped fresh onion, 2 chopped fresh tomatoes, and a can of crushed tomatoes.  This will cook 6-8 hours on low in the crock pot and I will serve over brown rice.
For BBQ Pork Chops I put 8 thick chops in the gallon zip loc and added a sauce made with: 2/3 c. water, 1/2 c. ketchup, 1/3 c. vinegar, 1 t. salt, 1 t. celery salt, 1 bay leaf.  This cooks 6-8 hours on low in the crock pot and I will serve with mashed potatoes.
 The Buttermilk Baked Chicken is for the oven, so I will have to thaw it first.  But it is such a good dinner!  I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but it got great reviews.

1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. buttermilk (make your own, I do)
1/2 t. lemon pepper
2 T lemon juice
a few shakes hot pepper sauce
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. minced onion
1/2 t dried rosemary
1 t. dried parsely
4-6 chicken breasts (I cut mine in half cause they were huge)
Mix all ingredients except for chicken and pour over the chicken in a casserole dish.  Bake uncovered about an hour - depending on your oven and the size of the breasts it could be less time.  This I will serve with a salad and maybe scalloped potatoes.

As Jacques would say, "Happy cooking!"






No comments: