Monday, December 12, 2011

Walnut Raisin Pie

I wrote down this recipe more than 26 years ago, even before I was married.  I was working in the Stationery and Books department at Foley's - obviously I was a hard worker - spending time copying recipes out of the cookbooks...yeah.  I pretty much hated that job.  I might have only made this recipe a couple of times in all those years.  It's something Hubby and I enjoy.  The kids, not so much.  
I think it smells and tastes just like Christmas!

Walnut Raisin Pie
3 eggs
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. apple pie spice (or use a combo of nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves)
1 c. light or dark corn syrup
1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 c. raisins*
 and a ready-made pie crust!
*Soak your raisins in a little hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften them up!

Heat the oven to 350.  Prepare your pastry OR just pat a ready-made one into your buttered pie plate.  Beat the eggs, sugar, salt, spices, syrup, and butter with a mixer til blended.  Stir in the raisins and nuts.  Pour into crust and bake 40-50 minutes or until filling is set.  Cool and serve.

For some reason, I felt a little blue around the edges the day I made this - when that happens, it helps to throw the back door open to let a breeze into the  kitchen and bake something wonderful!
 


No comments: