Friday, May 19, 2017

Cowboy Chicken

For Christmas,  I ordered The Girl a recipe box and hand wrote some family favorites to get her started on her own collection of recipes.  She returned the favor by sending me some, too!  For whatever reason, I had not made this one yet.  No idea why - couldn't be easier and it turned out really tasty, though I have no pic of the finished product.  I only know it was great because I packed it for my lunch the next day!
I prepped the sauce ingredients into a bowl and pulled it out of the fridge when I was ready to throw it into the crock.

Cowboy Chicken
1 pkg of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (trim the fat off)
1 T dijon mustard
2 c. fresh salsa - making your own is so easy*
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
Her directions:
"Literally just throw everything into crock pot for 5 hours on low, then shred chicken, replace for 30 minutes more. Serve either on rice or in corn tortillas with 2% Mexican shredded cheese.  This recipe included 2 T brown sugar and 1/2 c. sour cream.  I cut it out and its still real good."
I love that she's already making the recipe her own!  The only changes I made to her directions is to cook a bit longer on low - 6 hours - and I didn't ask Hubby to shred the chicken as they were going to eat it in bowls over rice.  I chopped the salsa ingredients (pico de gallo) and just added them in.  Same same.
When I leave the house on Tuesday afternoons, this is the scene:  crock pot going, directions posted, kitchen clean, iced tea steeping.  Save me some leftovers, peeps!
 

*For salsa pico de gallo I finely chop a couple of large tomatoes, a full bunch of chopped cilantro, and a diced small yellow or purple onion.  Toss with the juice of one small lime.  I like ours chunky, but you could also spin this a bit in a food processor.  I make this once a week in the summer and we eat it with tortilla chips, or on tacos or scrambled eggs, and at the end of the week, I use whatever is left in something I am cooking!


Gina

1 comment:

The Happy Whisk said...

Sometimes I don't get a picture of the food because it's in my belly before I get the camera.

Happy Weekend.