Thursday, April 22, 2010

The secret chair

We inherited this chair from hubby's mother; it was her sewing chair.
I recently covered the seat pad with the same fabric as the couch cushions.
It has a neat feature - the seat comes off to reveal a compartment where you can store all kinds of things.  Chloe used it in her room at one point and it hid all her Lisa Frank stickers and stamps.  Then it was moved into the front room and Dylan used it to store his recorder, and euphonium sheet music. Now it belongs to moi.  But it was showing wear and tear.
 Wooden button missing.
Scuffed finish.  But it's such a nice little chair!
I think I shall put my notecards and stationery in it - I still like to write a handwritten letter now and again.  Here are some before and after photos of the secret chair getting a makeover!
 Couldn't find those wooden buttons to match so I removed one on each side, filled the holes, sanded.

As a matter of fact, the whole chair was sanded - exfoliated. Then got a new coat of walnut stain and varnish.
I painted the inside compartment a pretty fern green.
The lighting isn't great - but the chair is.
I'm glad I got her spiffed up; she deserved it!




Shared with:

2 comments:

TidyMom said...

She looks beautiful with her make over!

Thanks for linking up to I'm Lovin' It! Have a GREAT weekend!

Vivobello said...

Nice! I need to recover some chairs as well! Thanks for the inspiration.