Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Faithful correspondents

 Years ago my mother mentioned that she wanted the letters she wrote me while she was working overseas typed into a sort of journal of her time there.  Then life got busy, and it never happened.  But I had been thinking about it recently and decided it was time to reclaim the box from her and get started on it.  Re-reading some of the letters really put some things in perspective.
There must around 200 letters here, all in my mother's neat, small cursive.  Plus a few photos and postcards and newspaper clippings... I plan on transcribing the letters I wrote to her as well - she saved every one.  I'm not sure everyone else will find them as interesting and entertaining as I do.  Some of the letters express her frustration at being halfway around the world and feeling let down by those closest to her.  And a lot of the past is just plain not fun to re-live.  It seems a daunting task to me, but I will just take it one step at a time...



No comments: