Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cherry Chocolate Cake

Scout asked if his girlfriend could come over and I said yes, then I thought: What the heck will I cook for dinner?  OK - I admit  first I thought: What about dessert?  I remembered a recipe "teaser" from a Southern Living ad hawking their newest cookbook.  No, I do not want the cookbook, thank you, but I will take all the free recipes you throw at me!

And I'm a sucker for cake recipes!  So here is my version of their recipe:

Chocolate Cherry Fudge Cake

1 box devil's food cake mix
2 eggs
1 t. almond extract
1 can cherry pie filling


Pre-heat oven to 350. Throw all that together in your mixer and beat til smooth; grease a 13x9 pan and pour in batter.  Bake for 40 minutes. Note: if you have a deep 13x9, decrease the cooking time a little - mine is shallow and took 40 minutes - I do the touch test to see if the cake springs back so I know it's done!
While the cake is cooling, beat 1 stick softened butter with 1 box powdered sugar, another teaspoon of almond extract, and about 1/2 cup or so of powdered cocoa.  Frost while the cake is warm, not hot.  A little frosting goes a long way - you can always freeze the extra for another cake.  Serve with cherry vanilla ice cream - and be sure to eat a square of it to "taste test" like I do....
 So, I decided to make a Stouffer's lasagna after that, served with a loaf of Italian bread halved, and smeared with garlic butter.  And some corn and brussel sprouts....
but we all know the real star of the show was the cake...
Delish!


Shared with:

3 comments:

Magnolia said...

This is so yummy. Thank you very much for sharing!

Natasha in Oz said...

What a fabulous Mum! That looks so yummy. The lasagna sounds delicious too.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Your pictures look great, and the cake looks yummy. Don’t you love it when something simple comes out tasting great?