Friday, October 17, 2014

Freezer Meals #11

Next week, I am getting my janky knee fixed.  I'm sure I will have loads of time to complain about it later....for now I want to get some freezer meals stocked up so I can just throw them into the crock pot while I lay in a Vicodin splendor, reading on the couch.  I'm going to baby this knee and get it back to 100% - that's my plan.  Here's what I put together Wednesday:
 While I unloaded all of my groceries, I started up a crock of black beans,
 and one of chicken breasts.  I just sprinkled some lemon pepper on six large breasts and put a small amount of water in here.  I will use them for three meals:  Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Taco Soup, and Chicken Casserole.  Two big breasts will make enough for each meal to feed four people.
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
1 onion, diced
1 can chili beans, undrained
1 can black beans (or make your own, like I did)
1 can corn, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1 can chicken broth
2 can Rotel
1 packet taco seasoning (or make your own)
3 c. cooked and cubed chicken breasts.
I will cook this all day on low and serve with tortilla chips and grated cheese.

Find the Chicken Pot Pie Recipe here.  I have a pie crust all ready to go in the freezer.  The casserole recipe is one I found in a magazine.  I will share it when I make it!
The sauce for Tender and Tangy Pork Chops are from here.  It's a good recipe I've had forever.  We can serve these with coleslaw and rolls.

Mediterranean Pot Roast 
One 3# chuck roast
1 cup drained green olives
1 cup Italian dressing
I tossed all the ingredients in a big freezer zip loc to freeze.  I will cook this from frozen all day in my crock pot.  We can have it with hot French bread and a veggie.  I've never made this before but it sounds good!
 I discovered I didn't have Italian dressing so I made my own with olive oil, vinegar, salt, seasonings.  I think I added parsely and a teaspoon of pesto to this, too.  I was wingin' it.
Chicken Cacciatore (my recipe)
2 med. onions, sliced thin
3# chicken (I used boneless thighs)
2 garlic cloves, mineced
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. tomato sauce
salt, pepper
2 t. Italian seasoning
1/4 cup red wine
Cook 6-8 hours on low and serve with pasta.  I have made various versions of this dish in the past - last time I used the McCormick packets.  But this is a simple recipe.

Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops
6 boneless pork chops (I used the thick rib chops because YUM)
1 packet dry Ranch dressing mix
1 can cream of soup
Mix the soup and dressing.  Slather over the chops in a big zip loc and freeze.  Cook 6-8 hours on low and serve with mashed potatoes and a salad.
 I also cooked 3 pounds of ground beef with onions, drained, then added taco seasoning and a can of diced tomatoes. 
This Taco Meat got divided into two big zip locs to freeze for tacos or whatever. 
 And I couldn't pass up this $4 package of smoked turkey wings to cook in a couple of big pots of beans.  I separated them out into two packages.  I will clean the beans and add to the crock with water and seasonings, then turkey wings.  It usually takes 8 hours or so and halfway through I can add some chopped veggies like carrots and onions.  I also made a big batch of Baked Shells - one for this Sunday and one for later.  Now...to get caught up on laundry and such...





1 comment:

Simply LKJ said...

Those meals sound wonderful. Praying all goes well with the surgery next week.