Monday, September 8, 2014

Mealplan Monday #127 and Strawberry Bread

I wanted to take some things to Dallas with us to lessen the hostess load on my nephew's family.  They were very generous to let all five of us stay at their house.  They have small children - I know how tough it can be when your kids are out of their normal schedule with sad faces all around and hubbub. Strawberry Bread sounded like a good thing to bring - I got the recipe from Sharon so many years ago. We were visiting her around the holidays and she had set out a couple of breakfast breads with butter. It was wonderful!
She was a great hostess and cook and she shared her recipes with me whenever I asked, which was often.  So, in honor of her...
Strawberry Bread
Pre-heat the oven to 350. Sift together in a large bowl:
3 c. flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
2 c. sugar*

In another bowl mix:
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. canola oil
2 small cartons strawberries in syrup, thawed

Combine the two, stirring gently.  Grease and flour 4 loaf pans.  Divide batter evenly between the pans. (You can also add some finely chopped nuts to the batter if you like)  Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour, depending on your oven.  Let cool and slice. Or freeze them for the holidays!
I broke my no oven rule and the house smelled so good!
******
Monday - (Leftover from freezer) BBQ Pulled Chicken for sammies, chips
Tuesday - Spinach Salsa Chicken (freezer meal), brown rice,corn
Wednesday - Four Cheese Bacon Lasagna Skillet, salad (And Back to School Night for only ONE kid - I can hardly believe it!!)
Thursday - Pan Fried Pork Chops, white beans with tomatoes, cheesey garlic toast
Friday - Game Night - OUT
Saturday - Dad grill
Sunday - Chicken Parmesan Casserole, salad
******
The loaves don't rise really high - they are so moist.  Also, I've made them with a little less sugar and oil in the past and they turn out OK.  Your call.
Strawberry Bread will forever remind me of family, holidays, home, and Sharon.





No comments: