Friday, September 14, 2012

French Apple Cobbler

Hooray for cooler mornings that finally feel like Fall!  It really puts me in the mood to bake up a delish dessert  and though I've seen quite a lot of new recipes I want to try, I made an oldie but goodie - one that will help me use up the abundance of apples that I overbought.  My mom used to make this for us when we lived in Galveston and it's buttery wonderful and great served warm with vanilla ice cream.

Nothing here you aren't likely to have on hand!

French Apple Cobbler
5 cups chopped tart apples
3/4 cup sugar (less if the apples are sweet)
2 T. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1-2  T. butter
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 and butter a 13x9 baking dish. Combine all ingredients except butter.
 Mix well and spoon into buttered 13x9 glass dish.
 Dot with butter.  Combine batter ingredients and drop by spoonfuls onto fruit mixture.
Batter:
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2 T softened butter
1 slightly beaten egg

Bake 35-40 mins.  Best served warm! 
And don't forget a scoop of ice cream...


Gina

No comments: