Friday, May 18, 2012

Just Peachy!

The Girl brought some some odds and ends groceries from her apartment - you know, the ones you don't normally buy, but you hate to waste so they just hang out in your pantry...She had two cans of peach halves.  Seemed random to me until I wanted to make a dessert and thought maybe I could combine it with cream cheese and cake mix.  I did a little research, then came up with my very own...

Gooey Peachy Butter Cake
Because I'm so kindhearted, I tried a piece to make sure my peeps would like it...(:

I already had the two cans of peaches, so I ran to the store and grabbed:
a box of yellow cake mix
a brick of cream cheese (let it soften a little)
3 eggs
2 sticks of butter (melted)
3 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. nutmeg (not pictured)


Butter a deep 13x9 glass dish and set aside.  Pre-heat oven to 350.  Melt the butter in the microwave.  Open the peaches and drain them.  Meanwhile, mix the cake mix, one egg, and 1/2 c. of the melted butter.  It will look like cookie dough:
Pat it down into the dish and arrange the peach halves on it like so:
Did you buy peach slices instead of halves?  I don't think it will make any difference...Now, in the mixer, combine the cream cheese, the rest of the melted butter, the powdered sugar, 2 eggs, nutmeg, and vanilla til creamy. 
It helps if you beat the cream cheese a little by itself before dumping the rest of the ingredients in.  But if you didn't, don't worry about it if the mixture looks a little lumpy.  Now, pour that over the peaches and crust:
See the specks of nutmeg?  I think nutmeg is one of the best things you can do to a cooked peach dessert.  They just seem to be made for each other!
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  You can see the crust puffs up a bit on the sides.  
That makes it easier to slice.  The middle will be soft and gooey.  This is so good warm!
If you're going to be making an oven dinner anyway,  you may as well make a gooey, peachy, buttery dessert.  Right?.




Shared with:

10 comments:

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

This looks sinful... but in a good way. LOL Thanks for linking up at Weekend Potluck. I pinned this.

The Better Baker said...

Oh Yeh....mouth-watering and delicious. So happy to find you at Weekend Potluck. MMMM-MORE please! =)

Suzy said...

All I can say is, Yummers! This looks and sounds delicious!!!! How about with some vanilla ice cream on top while it's still warm????

The Better Baker said...

Is it OK to say this lovely dish is just peachy? =) SO glad you linked up at Weekend Potluck - this awesome recipe is being featured there this week. Please pop over and link up more wonderful dishes. MMM!

Margo said...

This is looks amazing!

Kim (Sunflower Supper Club) said...

Congrats on being a featured recipe from last weeks Weekend Potluck. This knocked my socks off! I've pinned this! :)
~Kim

The Country Cook said...

Hey Gina! Congrats on the Weekend Potluck feature! I love this recipe! One question, does the 3 cups of powdered sugar go in with the cream cheese filling part of the recipe or the crust? I'm assuming the filling :) Have a great weekend!

Patsy said...

I saw this on Weekend Potluck, and had to stop by for this delicious looking cake. I have joined your blog. Patsy

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey said...

Gooey butter cakes are a favorite of mine and I love trying new flavors! I actually just posted one with Trader Joe's Cookie Butter. I am definitely trying your version-- it looks so delicious, I think I will be a very happy girl! :-)

Brandi said...

Such a delicious looking cake! I love peach cobbler, so I know I'd enjoy your recipe! Thank you for sharing.