Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Picadillo

I am always on the lookout for great new recipes for my collection and found this one recently at Frugal Follies.  It's got some interesting ingredients and sounded promising so I gave it a try.
Picadillo

2 T canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 small green olives with pimentos - I used the salad ones which are already sliced
1/4 cup raisins
2 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cinnamon
Rice

In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the onion; saute 2-3 minutes.  Add the green pepper (I didn't have any, so I left it out) and saute another 2-3 minutes.  Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.  Remove veggies to a bowl and set aside.  Add beef to the pan and cook until it is no longer pink.  Add veggies back to the pan.
 
Add the tomatoes, olives, raisins, and spices, and turn heat to high until the sauce is boiling.  Lower heat and cover, simmering 15 minutes or so while you make the rice.  Serve over rice.  Serves 4-6.
I served it with steamed carrots and it flat out disappeared.  Hubby kept saying it was very good and so unusual - sweet from the raisin, salty from the olives.  Perfect for Fall weather with the flavors of cinnamon and cumin.  I will definitely file this one for future reference!




Shared with:

2 comments:

Marie said...

mmmmm! You come up with the best recipes...always have : )

The Country Cook said...

This does sound so interesting. And personally, I love olives so I think I would really really enjoy this. Thank you so much for linking up with us over at Foodie Friday!! Hope you have a great weekend!