Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sausage and Potato Skillet

My mom used to be able to whip up a meal in just a few minutes after a long day at work.  No recipe, just common sense and patience.  If she made that same meal a couple weeks later, it would be different somehow - I guess that's because since there was no recipe, it was different each time.  Duh, me.  Anyhoo....I did the same thing a couple nights ago and was quite proud of myself for being so frugal-minded.
I started with a pound or so of Bratwurst marked down about half price...score!  I bought two to go into the freezer.  I don't think I've ever even had Bratwurst...it was pretty good!
Took the casings off, cut into small chunks and fried it up to reduce the fat.  Drained it and set it aside.
To the drippings I added diced onion and red bell pepper, a few diced potatoes.  The bell pepper was also frozen - no need to thaw. Then I seasoned it all up!
After the potatoes were browned a bit, I stirred in the sausage chunks.
I put the lid on the skillet, reduced the heat, and cleaned up the kitchen.  'Cause I'm OCD like that.  And I hate having to get up all fat and happy from my chair and do a lot of housework...
I made a fresh spinach salad and we had brownies for dessert, courtesy of a family friend.  
(Thank you, Renee!)
It took just a few minutes and made the house smell good. 
Not to mention, our tummies happy!





1 comment:

KimMalk said...

This looks good, Gina. I've never gotten the hang of just "winging it", if I don't have a recipe, I'm pretty much lost--sad, but true!