Friday, March 9, 2018

Aztec quiche

I've had this particular quiche recipe for years - given to me by a sweet friend, Bunni.  {Yes, that is her real name - she was born on Easter!}  I remember she was pretty jazzed about a cookbook written by someone who advocating making several meals at once, to freeze for later.  What a concept!  That was 1986, shortly after I began working with her.  She was kind enough to share the recipes with me.  It's funny how the make-ahead meal prep is all over Pinterest and blogs now!
 Aztec Quiche

1 1/2 c. shredded monterrey jack cheese
1 c .mild grated cheddar (didn't have any cheddar this time around)
1 package chorizo (optional)
9" pie shell (I used one of my freezer crusts since I just made a new batch)
4 oz. can chopped mild green chilies
1 c. half and half
3 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. cumin

I peeled the chorizo (they are encased in clear plastic) and fried them up in a skillet on medium heat.  I guess it took 5 minutes or so.  Meanwhile, I parboiled some small potatoes to make skillet potatoes as a side.  You will need to drain the chorizo well - it makes a LOT of grease.  Set aside to cool.  Pre-heat oven to 325.
I love that I have those frozen crusts - I thawed this one, rolled it out on a floured section of counter, then patted it into my favorite quiche dish. 
Then I put the grated cheese into the crust and set it into the fridge while I got the rest ready.  I find that if I leave the excess flour on the counter and grate the cheese there, the flour helps me get every scrap of cheese easily off the counter without it sticking.
Combine the eggs, half and half, cooked and cooled chorizo, chilies, and seasonings and stir gently, then pour into crust.
 Bake for 40-50 minutes or until set.  While that was happening, I cut up the potatoes and cooked in a little fat with chopped onion and red bell pepper, until all were nicely browned and cooked through.
Then I cooled that and put it into the fridge for my peeps to heat up later.  (I prep it, they heat it up)  And I went on my merry way to work.
It was a super delish dinner and there were ZERO leftovers!
Thank you, Bunni.  I still think of you each time I make this for my family!
 


No comments: