Monday, July 20, 2015

Southern Ham Salad

Browsing through an old issue of Southern Living I came across this recipe for an old-fashioned ham salad.  The kind you eat on white bread with pickles and potato chips!  I think I may have had this as a child, probably at a church luncheon or a family reunion.  But I have never made it until now.  And I don't know why not - it was perfect for supper on a hot day!
Ham Salad (adapted from Southern Living magazine)

2 lb cooked ham, cut into chunks
1/2 jar of bread and butter pickles
1 cup (or more) mayo
1 T celery seeds
1 t. horseradish sauce
1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed
1/2 freshly ground pepper
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
sandwich rolls, chips, etc.

Process ham, half at a time, in a food processor until coarsely ground.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the eggs, in the food processor and pulse a few times to make a chunky dressing.  Stir into the ham.  Fold in the chopped eggs.  Sprinkle a little parsley on, if desired.  Chill.  Serve as a sandwich filler, or with crackers.
******
Personally, I thought it a bit salty, so next time I will buy a low salt ham.  But it was easy and tasted great, and stayed fresh, covered in my fridge, for several days!




Shared with:
Cozy Little House
and
on Domestically Speaking

1 comment:

Rue said...

That sounds really good and perfect for after Easter, when I have more ham left over than I know what to do with ;)

xo,
rue