Friday, October 2, 2026

5 thing Friday - roof, earring, photo binder, puzzle, thrifting

One day I drove up to my house and saw what looks to be a couple of loose shingles just sitting on the roof.  This does not make me happy.
Its like I told the electrician "it's always going to be something".  This roof is not old enough to be replaced just yet, so I will need to have someone get up there and investigate. These are the kinds of things that make aging in place so challenging.  Even with a strong support system or a healthy bank account it can can feel like a never-ending struggle.
I splurged on a small channel set diamond in 14kt with a flat back for this top ear piercing, only on this one ear. A treat for myself, if you will. I cannot leave the house without earrings on, no matter what I am doing.  A very weird thing leftover from childhood, I think.
I bought one gigantic 3 ring binder for three small photo albums I wanted to combine.  These are photos from high school, college, and early married life.*  I don't know why I assumed that only one would be sufficient.
I either have to go through them like I did the family albums and purge photos (I really should) or buy another 3 ring binder (I probably will).  It would be nice for all of these photos to have their new permanent home all set up so I might actually look at them.  No telling what my kids will think of them some day.  They will probably think "wait - our parents were actually people?".  Ha.
 
My latest puzzle.  I got the sewing table all cleared off because I thought The Girl was going to be here for a couple of nights while she had maintenance fix a mold issue in her vents. She ended up elsewhere, but since this workspace was cleared off I might as well spread out a new puzzle to work.  Its been ages.  Butterflies seem to keep showing up in my life.
I went thrifting exactly once for all of September.  I found a nice new chenille sweater for $7 and a glass snowflake for $3.  I guess I'm going to stick with that theme for my bedroom tree.  I'm really looking forward to having it in there all lit up at night - so pretty.
In less than 2 months the Christmas craze will be upon us, can you believe it?


Gina 

*41 years on Monday

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the butterfly puzzle; though I haven't tackled shaped puzzles yet. I love the new earring. That is lovely!

Juhli said...

Great thrift finds and your earrings are beautiful. You are absolutely right about the challenges of aging in place and of continuously finding good help for the things that need doing.

SAM said...

Good for you on the splurge. I only have three pairs of earrings I ever wear. Most days I forget to put any on. Photos are everywhere here with no order after the first 5 years of kids albums.

Pattie Tierney said...

It IS always something, and it is continually challenging to have to do absolutely EVERYTHING on my own. For the most part I do just fine, but there are days when I really wish I had some sort of help. The earring comment about not leaving the house without them made me smile. I’m the same way. I have to put lip gloss on to take out the trash. :-)

Jennifer said...

I like these Five Thing Friday posts! And I like your new earrings, too! From another one who can leave the house without earrings. Perish the thought!!:) Happy Friday!

Hena Tayeb said...

Lovely new earring.. I have two piercings and have forever been contemplating getting a third done but just never get around to actually doing it.

Granny Marigold said...

Earrings look so pretty. I've tried twice to have my ears pierced and both times they got infected so I gave up .
The thrifted sweater is a lovely colour and looks to be very cozy.
I think I'll get a puzzle going too!!
Have a nice weekend.