Monday, September 7, 2026

Drainage plan - will it work?

 I wouldn't even call it a project, but I have purchased a few things to help move rain drainage away from the house - in the event that we get any rain.  My mulch in the front gets washed sideways and down the driveway whenever it rains hard.  I sure am tired of sweeping it back into the beds.
For the downspout near the front steps, I added an adjustable extension to help the water flow a little more naturally towards the shrubs instead of soaking the foundation.  I also bought the self-tapping screws and new downspout bands to hold the ones on the side of the house in place.  Very minor fix-its, but still*.
For this empty-ish area of flower bed (to which I will add another shrub next spring), I had to devise something to let the water flow and not take the mulch with it. (that poor olive tree is suffering)
I bought some foam tubular pipe insulation (think pool noodle) and used some extra screen material I had along with some cable ties to rig up a sort of drain.
I pushed it against the house so it is less noticeable.  Hopefully the screen will keep the tubing from getting clogged.  Will it work?  I will find out!
You can't see either of these things from the driveway or sidewalk.  Left to do? Maybe spruce up the mulched areas, run the sprinkler on a regular basis (duh, Gina), and powerwash the walkway. I would also love to tackle the rust stains on the driveway near the garage doors.
But none of that is happening this week as I am giving myself something of a small break from the heat and doing mostly indoor projects.  What about you?
Have a good week!


Gina

*every small thing I learn or project I undertake only adds to my confidence!

7 comments:

Cat said...

Good luck for the outcome!

Juhli said...

Getting water away from the foundation is always good. For the one in front with the added extension, you may also want to add the sort of V shaped float piece to lay on the ground where the water comes out. It will slow the water down and spread it out. I think they come in brown.

Ur-spo said...

yes I believe that will help the drainage.

Granny Marigold said...

The extensions that attach to the downspout look like a practical answer to the water problem. The foam pipe covered with screen is another good idea.
I hope you have a quiet week with time to relax.

Kim said...

I'm always so impressed by your skills, Gina! I hope it works!

kath001 said...

Just a few days ago I was walking from the car to the back door and thinking how happy I am that the cement driveway and sidewalk had NOT been powerwashed lately! LOL Last time it was powerwashed, it was uncomfortably blinding with the sun bouncing off of it for a long time after. :)

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

That looks like it will help!!