After the mobile mower repair guy left, I sat at my kitchen table with my mower's owner manual and wrote down every thing he told me, and then some. Truthfully, it was like talking to a father figure - one who shares his knowledge in such a way that you "get it". And I've been using the mower, but I didn't know:
*use non-ethanol fuel
*don't buy more than 30-60 days worth of gas at a time
*after mowing, turn the fuel knob to off and let the mower run a couple of minutes
*pull the air filter out and slap it across the handle a few times to dislodge the dust; never let it get wet
*replace the air filter once a year
*top off the fuel after each time you mow
*check the oil often, change it every 6 months (then he showed me how)
*at the end of the mowing season, put the container gas into your car
*if it hasn't rained in a bit, water the grass the day before you mow, then mow in the early morning
(dust can get around the filter and enter the engine)
*do a once-over on the mower every time you mow - check its condition
*use a pressure nozzle to clean the lawn clippings bag every now and then
Then I went onto Yelp and wrote him a stellar review!
Its good that Mark saved the instruction booklet for everything he bought. I filed the paperwork for items I still have, and I'm reading as I buy things, like the pump sprayer I used on the deck last week. Because when you know a few things about how to use what you have, life seems easier. (wink, wink)
Gina

"Truthfully, it was like talking to a father figure - one who shares his knowledge in such a way that you "get it"." Not my father then, he was way too impatient 😂
ReplyDeleteIHe sounds like a good teacher. Some people just blow out the info without even bothering to check if you can keep up or if you understand.
I will vote for you if you run for president! You can get it done!!
ReplyDeleteHow lovely that he taught you all that.
ReplyDeleteI can honestly say, I did not know. Had no idea really. I'm going to share this with my hubby (who will, of course, say he knew...ha!) Thanks for the info. Very useful. I should save more paperwork/manuels. I tend to just throw everything away. Ugh. Happy Monday to you!
ReplyDeleteYou could write a guide on all you've learned abd why. I got rid of gas mower because he had issues the last summer and I just didn't want to deal with gas. I'm really thinking when this electric dies it might be my sign to hire it out. But, seems wasteful when I'm in good health.
ReplyDeleteThat is wonderful to have such a knowledgeable person go through everything with you so you'll know how to take care of it in the future!
ReplyDelete