Monday, July 20, 2026

Home projects I'm getting help with this summer

 Mostly, I can do what I need to do for routine maintenance at my house.  I can replace filters/bulbs/batteries on all sorts of things, caulk and paint, deep clean and organize, mow and edge.  I can troubleshoot small and medium sized things but I have learned to call in a professional for things beyond my scope.  Topping that list is anything electrical: installing a new disposal and sink, replacing a switch, minor repair of a washer or dishwasher, changing out a light fixture. 
I have no business trying to do something a professional can do faster and better.

I have a working list at all times of things that require attention at my house that I need to get going on.  That includes:
*getting a new overhead light fixture installed in the garage
*installing ceiling fans in two bedrooms
*maintenance on the garage opener motors
*tree trimming
*sprinkler system and mower maintenance
*thorough cleaning of the roof gutters
*installing carpet

Its gonna be a HOT week in central Texas this week, but I already have some of these things scheduled.  Staying busy will be key for me as July finishes up.  What projects have you been hiring out lately?


Gina 

8 comments:

  1. Good for you!! All my life I did all those things and enjoyed it. Now at 69 I realize that anything involving a ladder is not a good choice for me. I happily call a pro now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You approach things the way I do. If it's too inefficient or dangerous, I get help. Slowly. I'm learning more basics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a list too but haven't identified who to hire to do it. I agree totally on electrical, plumbing changes, appliance installation, etc. Our next hired out project needs to be putting up a safer railing to code on indoor stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably wise to get a professional to do any electrical. My DH is always convinced he can do it himself. We've had some interesting happenings ( luckily only scary but no permanent damage).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had to buy and install a new garbage disposal a month or two ago. Carey said, "Nope! I'm hiring that out now." Apparently it's a bit of a bear to wrestle into place. I'm glad he is putting limits and priorities in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sincerely impressed with all the things on you "I can do it" list!! Especially caulk and paint. That said, always best to know when you need the professional. And hooray for getting projects done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It made me smile to hear that you keep lists. Not only do I keep lists, but I keep special books of projects that I want to do, and improvements that I’d like to make. Generally, I hire my contractor, Joe, to do big jobs. But I had him stop by today because I needed him to bring his high-speed drill and put some screws into the wall. I got six anchors in and two screws although with my antiquated screwdriver it took me all day getting those screws in because I just didn’t have the strength to screw them in. It did please me that even with his drill, he struggled to get a couple in. I’m working on a little art installation at the dining area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you! There are just some times when it's best to call a pro. Of course, my DIY husband usually refuses to do that, but I think he's getting there. Age has a way of humbling you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Be diplomatic but keep it real, I'm open to suggestions...