Friday, April 16, 2010

Oven Sammies

Here's what we had for dinner last night:  Mom's Oven Sammies! My own version of the ones they do at Studio Kitchen - just as easy and way cheaper, and the family eats it up!  It starts with canned bread dough, but you could make your own, too. Add to that some deli meat, cheese, spreadable butter, and seasonings
Unroll it and spread it with garlic butter or pesto - this gives it more flavor as in the end you'll end up with a lot of bread, like a sandwich, and you want it to be flavorful.
Pick whatever deli meat you like.  Tonight I chose honey ham and smoked turkey.  Lay the meat out on the bread, top with grated cheese - I used mozzarella  on the ham and cheddar on the turkey.  You can add whatever else you like: Olives, green onions, sliced pepperoni, pickles, or whatever you think sounds good in your hot sandwich! I kept it simple this time around, but I like to combine different meats, cheeses, and little bits of things I'm trying to use up, like the last few sliced mushrooms, for example!

Bring the edges of the dough to the center and seal; set it seal side down on your baking pan, and seal the ends, too.  If it's very full, some might ooze out on the baking pan - oh, well!
Brush the top with better and sprinkle on seasoning if you like - I used Italian seasoning and paprika last night - it just made it look pretty.  Bake for 35 minutes or so at 350 while you heat up some soup, set out chips, etc.  Let it cool a few minutes before slicing up - sorry I don't have photos of this - it went so fast! It's a popular dish here, even in the summer. It's easier than just making plain old sammies for 6 people, and more fun, too!  Everyone has a "Go To" recipe for their family - what's yours?



2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Gina, this is a great idea and it looks delicious. I found your blog by chance but will be back often. I really like the food you feature. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

SnoWhite said...

Looks like an easy and yummy lunch :)

thanks for stopping by and saying hello at my place!