Friday, March 24, 2023

5 thing Friday - Mother, bluebonnets, memories, wine, cholesterol

When I visited my mother, she had several places she needed to go - the vet, the CPA that does her taxes, HEB...and if you are in front of her at the grocery store, you better move fast, because she is notorious for running folks down!
I am a little worried about her.  Most of the time she's very "with it".  But other times she does things like fall asleep at the kitchen table while filling the dog treats jar.  Then she startles when I knock, even though she knew I was coming.  
Last Sunday I visited Highlands.
I had been putting it off, but I wanted to see the bluebonnets.
Last time I was here (NYE) I had a pipe burst and water was flooding the top of my hill, draining my well.  I panicked, then got in big trouble with The Girl (whom I haven't spoken to much, since).
 
Highlands is a place I still need to reconcile.  One minute I am sure I need to sell it, the next, I am captivated by its beauty and memories.  Mark loved it here yet I know that's not a reason to keep it.
On Sunday, it will be one year since his memorial here.  The Etsy shop I ordered the urn's engraved brass plate from abbreviated his birth year, and not the other.  So this one lives on a cedar up at Highlands.  How is it that's its been a year since I felt ready to have the memorial?  I waited 8 months and it was still so hard I could barely get through the day.  But I did, and I continue getting through all of the days and that has to count for something.
I attended "finishing trials" at my favorite winery.  We sampled Viognier, 2 Picpoul Blancs, a Marsanne, and Aglianico Rose.  Very educational!
The tank room is cool and quiet and has the most wonderful smell to it.  And the size of those tanks is impressive!
I met some people, had some fun, and got out into the world.  Go me!
Sadly, my efforts to improve my cholesterol aren't doing enough so I started on a statin yesterday.  I could be sad about this (and I am) but I also feel empowered to do something for my health that may help me make it as long as my mother has.  Since eggs are no longer considered the enemy, I am enjoying some fresh ones from her chickens.  But I will also get myself back on track with other things I know I should be doing.  I can't be mad at Mark for not doing something I am not doing myself!


Gina

3 comments:

Angel said...

I just wanted to say that I just caught up on your blog and your idea about the placemats as refrigerator shelf liners was brilliant! I immediately went to Dollar Tree myself and purchased some for the same reason. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog a little while ago and wanted to tell you I enjoy it and am learning from it. I am sorry about the sudden death of your husband. You are doing a great job with all the house projects and also caring for your mom.

Joni said...

Your comment about your Mom shopping made me grin. I got ran over by one of her pack yesterday at Costco, lol. She hit me, i moved forward and she hit me harder, guess I was in her way.
I feel for you and your memorial issues. I still haven't had a memorial and he died on Thanksgiving 2021. I get it. Every messy spot on the farm that I clean up feels like a memorial. There are hundreds of messy spots!
I am a nurse also and work is easier than the emotional baggage that I tackle at home. I get it!!!