Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Decadent Carrot Cake

Have you ever heard of The Cake Mix Doctor?  When the kids were little and they did those book fairs at the elementary and middle school, I used to see her cookbooks there and leaf through them fascinated at her creativity.  She would take a plain cake mix, "doctor" it up, and make it seem homemade.  I thought it was genius and I often added a bit of this or that to cakes I made for birthdays and holidays.
Fast forward to Easter and this is what I made for dessert:
I took a Dunkin-Hines Decadent Carrot Cake Mix (which I don't even see on their website anymore) and added a can of pineapple tidbits with all of its juice instead of the extra water that you soak the carrots and raisins in.  I baked it in a Bundt pan for about 35 minutes, then when it was cooled, I frosted it with:

Salted Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 stick soft butter
One 8 oz block softened cream cheese
2 c. powdered sugar
2 T Hershey's caramel sauce
1 t vanilla
pinch of sea salt

I creamed all of that together and slathered it on the cake.  Then I drizzled on more caramel sauce, just because!  I toasted some Texas native pecans my mother gave me in a small skillet and when they were cooled I sprinkled them on the top.  
Oh. My. Word.
Quite possibly the moistest, richest carrot cake I have ever had and YES, the leftovers went into the freezer for a sweet treat for us in the future.  
Do you cake doctor, too?


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I do remember The Cake Mix Doctor! I haven’t thought about those books in ages. I think they go back to the seventies. Your carrot cake sounds delicious. I love the carrot/pineapple/raisin combination. Hope you and your family had an enjoyable Easter.