Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Weekend re-cap: in and around Burnet

Last Saturday I had all kinds of plans to replace a couple of shrubs and work on the landscaping.  But this heat is doing me in, and after a loooong week, I found I just wanted to finish up chores undone for the week and LEAVE the house. Seriously, some weeks are like that.
Hubby fixed two things for me in the house - the stopper in my sink, and the laundry room door.  This called for a celebration.  To the BBQ Shack in Burnet we went for brisket and socializing with the very friendly owner outside.
 What is it about eating BBQ outdoors?  It tastes even better!
From there we traveled over to Save the World for the release of some pomegranate beer.  And while it was tasty, we couldn't end the afternoon without a visit to TNL to say sorry that we missed the harvest that morning.  I was bummed, but determined that will not happen next year!  We also talked to the winery owner about the terror of last Sunday - apparently TNL was evacuated for the wildfire that was raging just a few miles away.  Wineries are often family homes, too. Scary times.
On the way to TNL, we had stopped at Lowe's to see if they had the chaise loungers Hubby wanted for Highlands.  Not only did they have them, but they were almost $10 apiece cheaper on summer clearance.  Score for asking for a price check and match!  I don't have pics of them, but they are perfect.  We grilled some steak, then lounged in the chairs under the stars.  We both woke up around midnight and decided we better turn in for the night - ha! Like I said, rough week.
The next morning I made breakfast then spent more time in my chair enjoying this view:
I couldn't help it - I had zero energy or interest in much else.  The weather was perfect - in the 70's with a light breeze.  Hubby finished up some plumbing and electrical tasks in the barn, then we had sandwiches for lunch, cleaned up, and headed over to Perisso's since it's been awhile.  Along the way we noted the fire damage from the previous weekend:
 
 {Rare photo of me...}





 Gosh it was awful - a moonscape of burnt trees and it smelled pretty freshly charred.  It took several days to get it contained.  Thankfully, no one died or lost their home. {And incidentally, all of the profits from the pomegranate beer at STW went to the volunteer fire departments who fought it.}
The staff at Perisso's remembered us and asked why it took us so long to return for a visit - I didn't really have an answer for that!  They don't plan any events for the summer - no pick-ups or such -  and our weekends seem to end as fast as they begin.  They have lots of grapes left to harvest - we let them know we would love to help!
We enjoyed a tasting, bought a bottle, and headed home.  I made tacos al carbon from my freezer stash, watered my front yard exhaustively, and played more cards in the evening. I ran a load or two of laundry then hit the hay...this week promised to be as busy as the last.




1 comment:

bj said...

wow...those wild fires are sooo bad..
You did have a busy time...hopefully you got plenty of rest in those new chairs....