Friday, April 27, 2018

Crockpot Southwest Flank Steak

I can't remember where I found this recipe - probably on a blog, of course.  It's a good routine for dinner when you make a pot of rice to serve it over.  It's really more like a very thick stew.
Crockpot Southwest Flank Steak
1 1/2 lb. flank steak (I used blade steaks this time)
1 onion, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
1/2 t. oregano
2 t. chili powder
salt and pepper
1 can black beans, drained (I cook my own black beans in the crock and freeze in baggie portions)
1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced (baby peppers were cheaper this trip, so that's what I bought)
Spray the crock with Pam, then pour a little of the salsa in.  Layer pieces of steak with the veggies and pour the beans over.  Then shake up the rest of the salsa with the seasonings and pour over it all.
It smells so good!
Cook on low 7-9 hours.  Stir well and ladle over hot rice.
{I didn't get a pic of the finished meal as they had eaten all but one serving by the time I got home!}
******
Hubby and I may be "economically challenged" the next few weeks... so I have a new plan for meals that will hopefully keep us to around $100 a week for groceries for four.  Since I also include tp and soap and such in that budget, I will have to get creative.  So here's the new menu plan:
Monday - sammies (but not fancy deli meat or bread)
Tuesday - beef (probably ground beef or very inexpensive cuts)
Wednesday - Leftovers if we have them from Sunday, otherwise freezer pizzas
Thursday -  a pasta or rice meal - here's where casseroles come out to play...I will use my crockpot to cook and shred chicken/turkey/pork for those, and will do meatless meals like quiche, too
Friday - chicken (probably chicken thighs)
Saturday - Hubby and I go to Highlands and grill for two unless I am on call
Sunday - family meal night, Mom's Choice.  Depending on whether I have stayed within the budget I will fix a nicer meal with a couple of sides.  Scout and Dutch usually join us, too!
******
Hubby and I have lived with a smaller grocery budget before, feeding four kids and buying diapers...so I'm not going to worry about it, just forge on!

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am trying to remember when I last had flank steak, and my best guess is about 18 years ago. Obviously, I am long overdue, and anything made in the crockpot is right up my alley. I don’t have any flank steak recipes for the slow cooker, so I will be trying this one. Thanks as always for the inspiration!