Friday, March 23, 2018

Making my house more beautiful on a regular basis

We're not in our dream home, but pretty close since we love it and have raised a family here.  When we first bought it we could barely believe our good fortune.  Bigger, nicer neighborhood, new everything. That was 21 years ago, and soon (maybe?) it will be time for us to build at Highlands.  Though there is a whole list of things I want to be different in our next home, there are some things here I can do to make this one more beautiful while we are here.  {you'll notice all of these "rules" sort of blend together...}
Keeping it neat - Rule #1 for me is keeping things neat and de-cluttered.  No matter if I don't keep up with the latest home decor trends, the surfaces can be cleared off and clutter dealt with.  I follow a little schedule of sorts so I don't get overwhelmed:  Monday groceries, Tuesday laundry and sheets, Wednesday floors and ironing, Thursday bathrooms, Friday bills and catch up groceries/odds and ends.  Every day I try to stay on top of the kitchen and that makes a world of difference.
 Windows that look out into the yard - I love the natural light and the window seat free of 1000 pillows and stacks of things.  "Clean the windows" is on my short list for Spring cleaning. I spend so much time in this kitchen, so keeping it clean is a must.
Wide open spaces.  I like how easy the floors are to clean without rugs - so I'm probably not going to jump in on the rug trend at this house.  The laminate floors we put in 13 years ago still look great.  Rugs are pretty, but Rule #2 for me is Don't Add More Stuff You Don't Need.  Even if you can get a great deal on it.  Even if its some new decorating trend.  Even if your favorite blog says "looks what I did, and you can too!"  I'm trying to live with what we have here - I don't want to move a mountain to Highlands.
This bathroom wallpaper was horrifying to me all those years ago.  I so wanted to change it!  But wallpaper, and the labor to install it, costs a fortune.  So we only replaced the flooring in here and let the rest be.  It's a clean and functional space and the colors actually appeal to me.  Rule #3 - If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It.  Work around it as best you can with colors and furnishings.  Keep it clean and neat.
 Would I love a new comforter and dust ruffle on this bed?  Yes and yes.  But I haven't found anything I love yet and for now, a simple warm blanket will suffice.  (not sayin' I won't, though...) Dusting it, vacuuming it, changing the sheets is all I do in here for now.  Years ago I painted this room a soft mushroom color and I still love it.  This room fits Rule #4 - Keep It Clean.  A clean bed to fall into at the end of the day, no clothes draped on the chairs.  And who wants to make their bed every day with 1000 pillows?  I'm doing good not to have it piled with laundry, so not me. 
Lastly.  For me, a beautiful home is all about the smells.  When my peeps walk in the door at the end of the day, yes I would love for them to smell a home cooked meal...and sometimes that happens.  But mostly I want for them not to smell old cooking odors and musty house that no one has been in all day.  So I use wax tart burners in cozy scents in a couple of places around the house, because Rule #5 is make sure it smells nice.  If the bathroom smells like PineSol, that's OK.  Our home should smell as relaxing and beautiful for us at the end of a long day as it looks.  
And I hope to incorporate all of those things in our new home.  Someday...




1 comment:

Simply LKJ said...

I agree with you on all accounts. Our favorite thing to do is light a few of our favorite scented candles and settle in for the evening.