Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Chicken and Spaghetti

Here is another recipe I have had for years - a favorite of Hubbys' when he was growing up.  One weekend that we visited Galveston, his mother had a big batch if this all made up for him to take back to San Marcos.  I thought it was unusual and good and my future Hubby loved it, so I asked her for the recipe.  She let me go through ALL her recipe cards and pick out the ones I wanted!  Can you imagine?  Such treasure.  It's odd I haven't posted this in all the years I have had this blog...better late than never.
Chicken and Spaghetti
Boil, debone, and cut up one 3 pound chicken, reserving the stock.  Set aside. (I used some leftover chopped turkey this time)
Cook 6 ribs of chopped celery, 1 medium chopped onion pepper, and 2 chopped bell peppers in 2 tablespoons butter until tender.
 I added more butter, though.  Maybe 4 tablespoons so it will cook a little easier.  You want the veggies to be tender.
Transfer to a larger pot and add:
1/2 c. Worchestershire sauce (do it!)
1 15 oz, can diced tomatoes
1 can mushrooms (didn't have those this time around and I prefer fresh anyway)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Admittedly, this looks a bit unappetizing - stay with me.  Boil up your spaghetti in the stock, or if you started with rotisserie chicken or leftover chopped turkey, just salt the water for the pasta.  I used linguine this time around...see how I am changing it up?  Marie wouldn't mind, I'm sure.
 Anyway, simmer the sauce on low while you wait for the spaghetti to cook.  I used 16 oz of linguine and saved some of the water I cooked it in, just in case it seemed too dry later on.  Drain your pasta and add it to the sauce, along with the cooked chicken or turkey.
 This makes enough for an army.  I buttered two big casserole dishes and divided it it up.  At this point she advises to cool it down.  It took only a few minutes to do this as I cleaned up the kitchen, then I covered it with foil and wrote the directions on top for Hubby to re-heat it for dinner.  The second one went into the freezer.
I also grated up some cheddar cheese - one regular brick of it.  You can divide this up into two ziplocs to put with the dishes.
Her directions say to keep the stock handy to moisten it before warming.  After it has the chill off, top with grated cheddar cheese and heat thoroughly.  (My directions are a tiny bit different because it was in the fridge and very cold.)  This casserole freezes beautifully, so guess what we get to have again in a couple of months?  
Comfort and memories, courtesy of Marie.


Gina

1 comment:

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

This looks delicious! I have been craving spaghetti, just didn’t have a clue as to what I wanted to do with it. I think I may be trying your recipe. Thanks for sharing.